[CT Birds] Say "Goodnight" Sandhill Crane

Timothy L Thompson twodogs77 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 20 17:57:26 EST 2015

Lambert Cove-Stonington as viewed from St Mary's Cemetery-with Maggie Perretto, looking east across the cove, at the base of Amtrak RR tracks (5th set of double utility poles, to the right of outflow bridge) at waters edge -SANDHILL CRANE craftily sneeking into roosting CANADA GEESE looking for a comfy spot to roost.  Keeping company are COMMAN GOLDENEYE, HOODED MERGANSERS, A.BLACK DUCKS, BUFFLEHEADS, PIED-BILLED GREBE(1) ....and other waterfowl as the fading light is escaping from my scope.  Time was 5:20pm.  I am presuming this is one and the same bird that is feeding from the cornfields on Wheeler road.  If so, the drive is 5 to 8 minutes between the two locations and roughly 3 to 5 miles as the crow flies. Both can be reached off I-95, exit 91. If you arrived heading northbound turn right at bottom of ramp. For St Mary's, take your third left onto North Main to Rte 1. At light go right and stay on Rte 1 and go past the Shell station. Cemetery is on your left. Use caution as the roads are extremely narrow in the cemetery. For Wheeler cornfields, just stay straight after taking right off exit ramp. Go back over I-95 and take your first right onto Wheeler. Drive past Pequot golf course and bear left at fork. Cornfields up ahead on your left.
Timothy L Thompson
Norwich, CT
Sent from my iPhone