[CT Birds] Red-tailed Hawk and Red-shouldered Hawk, Part VI

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Mon Jan 19 11:40:18 EST 2015

Over the course of the last 25 years, both Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks have staged a strong comeback in numbers both in winter and in the breeding season, with geographic expansion throughout the state.  Most recently, the greater gain has been by Red-shouldered Hawks.  Still, there are regions of Connecticut that afford greater opportunities for seeing Red-shouldered Hawks, seemingly east of the Connecticut River.  This is what we’ve seen over 30 years in Moodus on the Salmon River CBC.  A more thorough consideration of breeding habitat, such as would be provided by a new Connecticut Breeding Bird Atlas, would sharpen our understanding of how these buteo species have adapted to a changing statewide environment.

To sleep, perchance to dream –

Steve Broker