[CT Birds] flicker tale

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 27 09:11:32 EST 2015

"
On one hike up Swede Hill, Roger saw a clump of feathers sitting low in a
tree. He watched it for several minutes, but it did not move. It must be dead, Roger thought. Silently he crept up to the brown bundle and
reached out a finger. With one touch, it burst into life and flew out of sight. Roger’s heart raced as fast as the startled flicker’s. So alive, thought Roger. How wonderful to be free to fly anywhere. That was the
moment Roger knew he would spend his life with birds."  (For the Birds, The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Steve Mayo
Bethany