[CT Birds] Massive seabird die off on the west coast

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Jan 28 18:26:13 EST 2015

That's awful news Paul! When any family of birds are suffering this
kind of peril, it really makes you think. But when its seabirds, this
one really hits home with me! I read a few articles about this and
researchers really don't know what may be causing. Yes they speculate
a slightly warmer more acidic ocean "could" be affecting the supply of
zooplankton like krill, etc. BUT....researchers say it "could" be the
result of a successful breeding season, leading to too many young
birds competing for food. Unusually violent storms might be pushing
the birds into areas they're not used to or preventing them from
foraging.

I am sure there are many reasons that birds suffer this awful fate,
but we can't always jump on the global warming train. Nothing has been
proved yet, just speculated.

Keith Muieller