[CT Birds] Killingworth Library, 1/29: Cooper's hawk and others

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Thu Jan 29 16:48:50 EST 2015

Killingworth, 1/29 - We're well into the birdfeeding season at
Killingworth Library, and the reading garden has been packed with
visitors! I need to put together a full list of species spotted, but
rest assured that it includes a variety of woodpeckers, including
sapsuckers; various finches; a multitude of mourning doves, who line the
stone wall around the center maple tree; and today, a Cooper's hawk!
It gives me great pleasure to see patrons sitting in front of our
computers, but instead of being glued to the screens for the whole time,
they're busy gazing out the window at the birds. (Our library provides a
wrap-around view of the garden and feeders, so they're visible from the
children's room, the reference computers, and the back reading area.) We
also have on display an exquisite hand-appliqued quilt featuring the
Birds of Killingworth, inspired by Longfellow's poem; I've done a tie-in
display of Longfellow poetry and bird guides.
If you're in the neighborhood, stop by!
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Head Librarian, Killingworth Library