[CT Birds] Watching the feeding frenzy - Thistle feeder solution

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 13:34:49 EST 2015

I'm sitting here like many of you, watching today's feeding  frenzy ahead
of the storm, and I can't help but think how happy I am that I  got a new
thistle feeder recently. Not only was I sick of having to fill  multiple tube
feeders on a daily basis, but I wanted a way to feed a maximum  number of
birds with a single feeder. The one I found is not flashy but it does  the job
very well and best of all, compared to most tube feeders, it's  cheap!
If you're interested it's called a Woodlink Magnum Thistle  Feeder model
MAG2 on Amazon. It holds 5 lb. of  thistle, and I haven't  refilled it yet
since I put it up 5 or 6 days ago. As you can see in the pic  (below), the
level is down a little now. but I still have  up to 10 or  12 birds on it at a
time. So far Chickadees, Siskins, Juncos, House Finches and  even a sparrow
have used it.
I have a 3 foot tall tube feeder and it has 28 perches, but by  noon, no
more than 12 or so birds can use it because it's more than half empty  (pic
from a few years ago). And the standard feeders usually only have 6  perches.
The new one has a roof which so far has kept the thistle  dry, and a bottom
saucer which keeps the extra seeds pulled out from falling on  the ground,
to some extent. A lot of the birds, like Juncos, prefer to feed from  the
I have no interest in this, by the way, but I thought it might  work as
well for others as it has, so far, for me.
Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct
mntncougar at aol.com