[CT Birds] Juncos, how many can you count?

Joe Zygala shilohdad01 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 18:00:36 EST 2015

Well, I counted at least 71 on the ground. Then there may have been a few more back by the small gray shed - hard to tell. Then there are dark lumps in the tangly shrubs that may be birds, may be leaves, or may be something else. That's a lot of juncos! My high count on Project FeederWatch has been 71 at the end of December. I also suspect I had more than that.

My best junco count was on the Peekskill, NY, Christmas Bird Count many years ago. Below the Croton Dam in Ossining I had a flock of 250! I knew this was a good count, as when I flushed them while walking in the park there, they would fly around and behind me, so there was no double counting. Of course, that park is bigger than a back yard, but it ain't all that big, either.

Joe Zygala
South Salem, NY

Sent from my iPad