[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club February Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 09:21:13 EST 2015

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during

Indoor Meeting:

February 12, 7:00 pm.  Kevin Burgio — The History, Biology, and
Extinction of the Carolina Parakeet.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts
Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public.
Few would argue that the saddest word in a birder’s ID vocabulary is
extinction. Yet that’s been the fate of too many avian species in the
past and the threat ever grows. Kevin will discuss what is known
about the history, biology, and extinction of one such vanished bird,
the splendidly colorful Carolina Parakeet, described by some as
possibly having been the most colorful bird in North America. Kevin
will explain how his research, using modern research methods, may
help shed new light on the extinction of this fascinating and iconic
species. His research focuses on the mechanisms of species range
limitations and how  disturbance (climate change and habitat
fragmentation) influences patterns of species distribution and
extinction processes.  Kevin graduated summa cum laude from UConn in
ecology and evolutionary biology and is now a Ph.D. candidate there.
He is a Visiting Scientist at Fairfield University and a National
Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow.   Social half-hour at
7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information:
www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203-230-1697.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Wednesday,
February 4, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public. Enjoy a mid-week
field trip to Hammo, one of the state’s best birding locations in any
season of the year.  We will look for sea ducks, grassland species,
and rarities.  Meet at the park entrance at 8:00 am (I-95, Exit 62).
Leader:  Greg Hanisek.  Contact -Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge and Rhode Island Coast.
Saturday, February 14, 7:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  This
all-day trip includes stops at Sachuest Point, Beavertail State Park,
Moonstone Beach and Trustum Pond, all outstanding Rhode Island
birding sites.  We should see grebes, loons, scoters, scaup, Purple
Sandpipers, and Harlequin Ducks. Dress warmly—it’s cold and windy on
the coast. The hiking is a bit strenuous in places. Bring lunch and a
scope if you have one. Meet at the Branford commuter lot at Exit 55,
I-95. We carpool from there.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or
closcalz at optonline.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director