[CT Birds] Piping Plover Record Setting Success

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Thu Jan 29 19:52:38 EST 2015

As we at the Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds (AAfCW - Audubon
Connecticut and the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History)
gear up for spring and summer 2015 please save the date on Saturday,
March 14th for 2015 shorebird stewardship volunteer training with the
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, the Connecticut Department of Energy &
Environmental Protection, and AAfCW. Location and time TBD. Stay tuned
for more details.

Thanks to you in 2014 we helped the Connecticut population of Piping
Plovers set an all-time record for the number of successfully fledged
chicks at 116! Born from 51 pairs across Connecticut these young birds
shattered the old state record of 101 fledged young in 2008. This is an
astonishing success due to the efforts of over 400 volunteers across
Connecticut and multiple partners including USFWS, CT DEEP, and AAfCW.
We can also thank other partners including The Nature Conservancy and
the Bridgeport WildLife Guards. Assistance from municipalities along the
shoreline and via private landowners also contributed to the cause.

Please share this accomplishment so that we can continue to spread the
word on our waterbirds, retain volunteers and gain new stewards, and
ensure funding for this critical conservation, education and outreach
program. Only with your help both on the beaches and behind the scenes
can we strive to make 2015 another banner year for AAfCW. Thank you
again because none of this could happen without you! Please email
ctwaterbirds at gmail.com to sign up as a volunteer.

You can find more information about AAfCW in our blog:
And on the RTPI website:

Scott Kruitbosch
AAfCW Volunteer Coordinator

Scott Kruitbosch