[CT Birds] Rough-legged at East River

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sat Jan 31 08:33:20 EST 2015

I like Mark's response. The signs may have mentioned no parking....but
not sure if they mentioned "standing". We birders have been parking
(excuse me)...."standing" on that road for years photographing
Shorebirds, Rail, Hawks, Owls, Gulls, Sparrows, etc., and (probably)
never caused ANY disruption of boat launch traffic that I am aware of.
We all do the same thing....stop our cars, take out our scopes and
cameras, look for a few minutes and then move on when we are finished.
I have seen many Madison Policeman over the years passing me on that
road and never had one of them tell me to move. In fact we had a CO
pass us the other day while we were looking at the Hawk....he stopped
to look also. I think the few birders that "stop" on that road this
time of year when basically nobody is launching a boat should be
allowed a certain amount of latitude. I might want to contrast this to
the summer when the road is jammed with parked cars because the
parking lot isn't large enough to hold all the cars and boat trailers
that are using that small boat ramp. Rules, signs and more
rules....birding use to be fun in CT!

Keith Mueller