[CT Birds] Long-eared Owl at Silver Sands, 2/4, and Brief Hammo Stop

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 21:11:54 EST 2015

Had at least one Long-eared Owl this evening at Silver Sands SP.  Along with 3 other birders we first spotted it at 5:37 perched on the chain link fence just WNW of the parking lot.  We saw it (and/or other birds) flying low over the fragmites at the landfill's edge a couple times afterwards.

The Owl was #316 for me in CT.  And it was New England total tick #1,995.  (Total ticks are the sum of my statelists for the 6 New England states)  Just 5 more to go to reach my 20-year goal of 2,000.

En route to Silver Sands I made a quick stop at Hammonasset SP and spent an hour doing a seawatch over the Sound.  Not much moving, but did have a few birds fly by - 1 Red-necked Grebe, 1 Red-throated Loon, 1 Long-tailed Duck, and 4 Surf Scoters.

Mike Resch
www.statebirding.blogspot.com
Pepperell, MA