[CT Birds] Bluebird houses

Jerry Connolly birdshop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 6 19:35:57 EST 2015

To Kat:

Any nesting box in your yard should be placed on a metal pole, preferably 5 ft off the ground (technically 4-6 ft). Placing nesting boxes on tree trunks does invite predation. Raccoons, snakes, cats and squirrels are adept at climbing. Mice will also occasionally use a box for nesting.
We have readily available (and inexpensive) poles available for purchase that are the perfect height and include the necessary mounting hardware for nesting boxes. Some customers also purchase baffles that prevent predators from climbing the pole, similar to the ones that would mount on a bird feeder pole.

We advise placing multiple nesting boxes well out of sight of each other. There are exceptions to every rule, but generally birds do not nest "on top of each other". Bluebirds, in particular, may build false nests when boxes are placed too close.
We'd suggest front and back yard, with your house in between.

Facing south is good, some say east to catch the first morning sun.

You can read a lot about Bluebird box facts, including placement and predators at http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/Fact/bluebirdfacts.htm

Thanks for inquiring, it sounds like you're on your way to becoming a good "bird landlord". We wish you luck in attracting Bluebirds.

Kind regards,
Janet & Jerry Connolly

 <(`)
    ( >)~