[CT Birds] Nuisance bird

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sat Feb 7 16:40:17 EST 2015

We have a daily Coop at our feeders, now making multiple runs at the
buffet line since the snow cover increased. We let it do what it will do
- really, how many mourning doves and cardinals do we "need"? 20 of each
is more than enough...
It's not an immediate fix, but consider planting some evergreen bushes
nearby for the birds to dive into. Ours enjoy the cover of
rhododendrons, laurels, and andromeda. We also have honeysuckle vines
that have created a nice weave around the railings of our deck - this
morning, I saw three juncos sitting inside the vines not 10 feet away
from the Coop (who was in the apple tree next to the deck). Plus, the
honeysuckle has provided some good winter seed for the snowbirds.
Coop doesn't stick around all day, and beats a quick path into the woods
when the red-tail hawks show up to hunt rodents.
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester