[CT Birds] Heron Food in Winter?

James Dugan jim at duganworks.com
Sat Feb 7 22:16:22 EST 2015

Pat, Glenn, Steve,

In the early 1980's I remember watching a Great Blue in the Everglades take an Alligator Gar that made the bird look like it had a section of 2"x4" in its throat. I didn't think the bird was going to be able to get the fish down and remember wondering how the Heron was even going to survive as the fish was so large. After birding the rest of the immediate area, a fair bit of time later, I went back to check on the bird and remember finding it in the same spot appearing unable to even bend its neck and still staring up in the air. I have no idea how the story ended but hoped the bird knew what it was doing.

nntr
Jim Dugan
New Milford