[CT Birds] Stratford, Milford, Snowy Owl(s?)

James Winkelmann james.winkelmann at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 19:27:01 EST 2015

Took my 8 year old out to hit a few spots this afternoon:

*Raven Pond, Stratford:*
Mallard - 200+
Northern Pintail - 3 males
Wood Duck - 1 male
Greylag Goose - 5
Muscovy Duck - 1
Canada Goose - 1

*Sniffens Point, Stratford:*
Snowy Owl - 1, across the channel in marsh almost due North, perched on a
log (life bird for my daughter, pretty exciting!)
Red-breasted Merganser - 5
Common Loon - 1
+ usuals

*Birdseye boat ramp, Stratford:*
Red-tailed Hawk - 1, juvenile, eating what appeared to be a mallard, on the
marsh grass no more than 20 yds away
Northern Harrier
Gadwall
American Coot
Black Duck
Mallard
Red-breasted Merganser
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Did not locate Iceland Gull, Bittern, Night-heron, Snipe previously reported

*Milford Point:*
Snowy Owl - 1; Offered outstanding looks to 8 observers, initially found it
shortly after arrival right off the beach-side deck, no more than 40 yards
away.  It flew a bit and landed, did this several times, moving to the
outer beach, eventually moving to the far sandbar to the South where it
remained when we left.  Could have been the same bird from Sniffens Point,
unknown

*Silver Sands St. Park:*
Wild Turkey - 26, roosting in trees on N. side of entrance road
Falcon sp., probably Merlin
Buteo sp.
No sign of any Long-eared Owls...

Nice day!