[CT Birds] Goundhog vs Bluebird

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Mon Feb 2 17:45:48 EST 2015

The news today said the groundhog predicted 6 more weeks of winter when it saw it's shadow today (in a snow storm?).  But while watching my feeders in the snowstorm today I had 4 Bluebirds visit for the first time ever in the winter.  I think Bluebirds at the feeder should trump a skittish woodchuck and I'm predicting an early spring.

Also to answer a question posted earlier today about online bird ID guides, I use Cornell's "All About Birds", which does give a list of comparable species to link to, but I don't think it actually gives side-by-side comparisons.  I use it on a desk or laptop though and not sure if it is mobile-friendly.  I got an email today from Audubon advertising their "new and improved" site but haven't used it before and I'm sure their are others. sometimes you just got to try them and see which is most compatible to your liking.

link to Cornell's site: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search

Jack Swatt