[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:22:50 EST 2015

​2/4  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center  9:30am-1PM  overcast
9:30-9:50am viewed from platform on beach facing Long island Sound-
Canada Geese, Red breasted mergansers, American Black ducks, 2 Horned
Larks, 8 American Tree sparrows, 2 Mockingbirds, Buffleheads, Great black
backed gull and other ducks too far out to identify.
9:55AM in tree by windows facing marsh-Cooper's Hawk-calling.
As I came into the building and saw the marsh almost completely frozen (
small portion open but far out), I figured I wouldn't see too many ducks,
birds etc.  However it was very busy.
At the feeders: American Tree, Song, White throated & House sparrows, 3
Cardinals (2M, 1 F), Mourning doves, 2 Crows flew over, 4 Horned Larks
which scattered when the Cooper's Hawk returned.
On Marsh far out:  Brant, Canada Geese, Buffleheads,2 Mute swans, 1 pair of
hooded Mergansers, 1 pair Mallards, 2 female Northern harriers patrolling ,
1 Great black backed Gull, 1 Red shouldered hawk (far out), 1 Red Tailed
Hawk (far out), 1 adult Bald eagle viewed briefly (far out on marsh, past
and to the left of the Osprey platform).
One visiting human couple mentioned that their son had seen 2 adult Bald
Eagles on the east end of the marsh, so they came to see if they could get
better views.  So the Bald eagles are around.
Bev Propen, Orange