[CT Birds] Heron Food in Winter?

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 14:09:01 EST 2015

I'm sure they're all eating fish, but all are also capable of catching rodents. I remember once many years ago watching a winter group of Great Blue Herons methodically working through a winter field near the Susquehanna R in PA catching Meadow Voles. They'd certainly grab a small bird as well if the opportunity presented itself.

Greg Hanisek