[CT Birds] Pachaug State Forest

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Feb 8 09:29:48 EST 2015

7 February in Pachaug State Forest (North Section) covering both Trail I Rd and Trail II Rd from Herman Haupt Campground to Lowden Brook I located one mixed flock of twenty black-capped chickadees, ten tufted titmice, and six brown creepers.  This came about 15:00 after nearly two hours of hiking both trails and finding a small number of white-breasted nuthatches, blue jays, and drilling woodpeckers (probably full-size downy woodpeckers by the drilling).
The forest is appreciated by winter enthusiasts on skis. snowshoes, snowmobiles and people hiking over the snow like me.  It is plowed only from the Rt. 49 entrance to the campground parking areas.
Going home at 17:00 I pulled over after a red-shouldered hawk swooped up to the power lines in front of me and I enjoyed seeing how a hawk observes grace and dinner.  Flickr links below.

Brian Williams