[CT Birds] Birds in trouble

Paul Desjardins paul.desjardins2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:41:16 EST 2015

In 2009 the United States Department of Agriculture killed 4 million blackbirds in the southern states. Most were Red Winged Blackbirds, Brown Headed Cowbirds and European Starlings. However, the fear is that Rusty Blackbirds may also have been victims as they associate with the above species. And this is being done with our tax dollars. In another category is the problem of seabirds drowning in fishing nets. During the last decade about 2 million seabirds were killed in this manner. No wonder half of all seabirds are declining and 17 of the 22 species of albatross are faced with eventual extinction. These are but two of the many threats facing birds today. Hopefully something can be done to reverse these threats but I don’t see it happening any time soon with human nature being what it is.

Paul Desjardins
Windsor Locks