[CT Birds] Stratford "white-winged" Gull

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Feb 13 18:25:06 EST 2015

I'm in the not convinced camp, especially upon hearing the calls of the bird, which sound much deeper in tone than typical Iceland Gulls.   I know it's not a Glaucous as some originally suggested, but it is just so big bodied, thick billed, long handed in flight and with such a short primary extension at rest and I wonder about an unusual hybrid combination like Iceland Gull X Glaucous or Thayer's X Glaucous.   The mantle color is also very pale, as is the iris color...Is those both OK for a dark Iceland Gull...I don't know.

Perhaps we can get better vocal recordings of the bird this year and video of the long-call stance?

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut