[CT Birds] Stratford "white-winged" Gull

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Feb 13 19:50:51 EST 2015

I outlined a few of my concerns in the earlier post below and in the captions in these photos from today.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152811813514480.1073741904.730539479&type=1&l=e7fe31cf92

Much of my doubt arises from hearing the calls, which sound more like the recordings of Thayer's, Herring or Glaucous than any recordings of Iceland I've heard.  The long call contains some deep guttural barking tones that I've not heard from any Iceland Gull in the field or in a recording.

This is a really poor video of the bird calling last spring.  It is tough to hear it through the wind, but you can hear some of the deep guttural barking tones I was talking about:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152147962914480&set=vb.730539479&type=3

I will admit that you can find examples of similar birds labeled as Iceland or Kumlein's on the web and that this species is extremely variable, but who knows if all of them are labeled properly. I could perhaps be convinced, especially with some similar sounding recordings from a known Iceland Gull.  Perhaps the long-call of Iceland Gull is just not well known because of their generally remote nesting locations and quiet tendencies in the non-nesting season.

Patrick