[CT Birds] Stratford "white-winged" Gull

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Fri Feb 13 22:13:46 EST 2015

Thanks Patrick for the info on calls. I do not have any experience with comparing calls of these gulls but I know Peter Adriaens recently did some analysis of the calls of Thayer's and Kumlien's Iceland Gull (I think Pat included a link to this analysis in his post).

This is definitely more interesting grist for the mill and while I didn't think it looked that short-winged when I saw it, this can be misleading depending on posture, and it does look a little on the short-winged side in Mark's images.

It would be interesting to see images now and I will make a concerted effort to check it out again when I am down there.

If it isn't a strange and large Iceland Gull I am at a loss for putting a name to it, so hopefully Pat and Keith can stick with it and come to a conclusion.

Best,

Julian