[CT Birds] East Haddam Yard

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 18:34:20 EST 2015

From Dan Rottino & Family:
2/15/15 - East Haddam Yard, 4 PINE SISKIN, 1 PURPLE FINCH, 2 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 1 BROWN CREEPER.

While plowing, I was able to get to within three feet of the female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker feeding on a seed bell I had placed on the platform feeder.  Perhaps she was not doing well as this is the first time I have had her in the yard.  The male has been coming daily for quite some time and looks quite fat.  We also saw a PILEATED WOODPECKER and heard a BARRED OWL calling.  The siskins were here all day along with increased numbers of goldfinches but all were flushed several times by hungry turkeys.

I was given the bell-shaped mixed seed feeder as a gift.  It came in a plastic onion-like hanging sack but birds barely touched it.  I put it on an open platform two weeks ago but not until today did any bird use it, and not by much.  My next plan is to smash it up into small pieces to see if the birds will eat it then.  Has anyone else had problems with seed bells?  I used them often as a teenager with no issues.

Bird Forever Work Whenever
Dan Rottino
East Haddam, CT