[CT Birds] bald eagles over the Thames River

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sat Feb 14 22:23:13 EST 2015

Today at 12:30 I was watching three bald eagles on an ice raft at the Brown Mem. Park / marina in Norwich.  Two juveniles and one second-third year.  Another third year soared overhead at one point.  To my back were fifty-plus gulls resting on the ice while the open water had ten red-breasted mergansers, some hooded mergansers, and at least four goldeneyes,   One cormorant (which I noted flying down the Quinebaug River on Friday) sat stationary across the river.  The eagles were soon to head downriver where the ice was hosting a healthy number of waterfowl.  The mergansers and goldeneyes did not waste much time following their lead.  (Access to the river is mostly an arduous task right now.so I am not speculating numbers or species).

Despite the frigid weather earlier today I did manage a few pictures and flickr link below.

Brian Williams