[CT Birds] re Hammonasset

MKCommunications at comcast.net MKCommunications at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 11:14:53 EST 2015

No one is answering the phone at Hammonasset, so maybe it does have something to do with the holiday. Maybe not. Perhaps the park is open on holidays as long as only park security (not maintenance) is needed. Not exactly sure who operates all that equipment or what contracts they work under. Or maybe it's about the operation of snow removal equipment in zero degree weather. It could also be that the state has depleted or is fast depleting snow removal budgets for parks this year. However it shakes out, I do want to say that in general I find park officials at Hammonasset to be quite accommodating and tolerant of the birding community. Perhaps what might help everyone is more timely updating of a park's open and close status online, so folks don't head out needlessly in hopes of it being open. Does anyone know of a link that provides real-time park updates in Connecticut? If not, maybe there should be one.