[CT Birds] Fwd: Hawk id question, please?

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Mon Feb 16 19:05:27 EST 2015

Tx. for several suggestions.

A search took me to http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red-shouldered_hawk/id, where the similar species picture shows a juvenile Red-tailed with quite a grey face and possibly similar tail -- so what I saw might well be RTHA;  it's certainly too close to call.

RSHA's eye seems quite distinct, too:  from the photos, it looks big in the head, and is black, unlike the RTHA.  (I can't recall the eye I saw, but I might have noticed the beady eye.)

So, alas, at best Buteo sp.  Thanks!

Begin forwarded message: