[CT Birds] Hamden: Pine Siskin North Lake Dr., Feb 16, 2015

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Mon Feb 16 19:10:01 EST 2015

From Arthur Shippee:
02/16/15 - Hamden, North Lake Dr. -- 3 Pine Siskins.

Not around a lot today.  Didn't see Rusties.  Did see 19+ Robin.

Also, Hairy Woodpecker  pair.  Here's what I saw.  A bird, woodpecker-like, flew W. across Mather, but I lost it.  Another bird came dashing across, whoop whoop whoop.  I was able to follow it.  There was a broken branch (largish, several inches in diameter), and the second bird had landed a bit below the broken top, showing itself a Hairy male.  He hopped up the tree & there was a H. female on the broken top of the branch, and the male mounted the female, for a brief time, then dashed away.  Female stayed there, looking rather unconcerned with it all.

Begin forwarded message: