[CT Birds] Fw: Roost boxes

SOPHIE ZYLA sophiezyla at snet.net
Tue Feb 17 08:44:50 EST 2015

Last year the fabulous Naugatuck Valley Audubon Society bird house monitoring team was extremely vigilant in removing any House Sparrow nests and eggs from all our houses at Kellogg Environmental Center and Naugatuck State Forest. When the bluebird nest had eggs and the sparrow had thoughts, our monitor installed some sparrow spookers. They worked! I don't have the number but there were bluebird fledgelings from the nest box which is in prime sparrow location.  And no lethal methods of removal were used.

There can be success with some effort expended.

My home boxes have squirrel residents - both gray and possibly a flying but I've not checked for some time.

Sophie Zyla
Beacon Falls, CT