[CT Birds] New London pier

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:26:33 EST 2015

Hi Don.  On Feb 8 I had 2 horned grebes "sitting" in the water just a few feet from the NL City pier.  I was surprised they were so close but I have also seen horned grebes close to shore (but still in the water). at Stonington Point so I didn't think it was unusual at the time.  It was nice to see them up so close.  I think they could be hungry.  At one point my kids coincidentally threw snow in the water and the grebes came over expecting food.  People in this area feed the gulls and ducks so perhaps the grebes are accustomed to handouts.

Dan Rottino
East Haddam, CT