[CT Birds] Juvenile red shouldered hawk

Robley Evans rjeva at conncoll.edu
Thu Feb 19 08:42:07 EST 2015

First-year red-shouldered hawks are those seen sitting in trees and on
power-line poles along our major highways.  They are often the hawks we see
as roadkill along these same highways.  Rats and mice living off human
garbage tossed from cars put inexperienced birds in danger.  Speaking of
the necessary genetic changes required for winter adaptation by Carolina
wrens: How long will it take for predators to learn automobiles kill?  This
observation  includes owls, which also "lock on" to their prey and don't
look both ways before crossing the street. Rob Evans  North Stonington