[CT Birds] Bluebirds

Carole Donagher cdonagher at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 12:49:40 EST 2015

Barbara and all --
Ditto here.  In my experience bluebirds eat bird seed as a last resort, and here they clearly prefer hulled sunflower to other seeds.  In this weather, they are clearly also eating seed to survive, as the insects they normally eat are scarce.
I feed mealworms here, but I also feed a suet mix.  As someone else on this list mentioned recently, I am finding my yard birds (including a variety of woodpeckers) like commercial suet less and less, especially the ones with millet and other seeds or flavors already in them.  They seem to prefer the real melted suet ones with nothing added, if any.

I have made my own mix for years, with melted lard, crunchy peanut butter and cornmeal.  i usually add dried currents, other nut pieces and, in winter, real beef suet chopped up in small pieces.  Squirrels love it too.  I spread it on tree bark, feed in suet feeders and suet "logs," and in in cold/bad weather I add some to the seeds in tray feeders.
I am about to try Julie Zickfoose's recipe, as it seems better to use unmedicated chicken feed instead of cornmeal.

Carole DonagherFarmington