[CT Birds] Sex of the Tufted Duck

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 22 20:41:52 EST 2015

Charlie,
I just reviewed my photos of the Tufted Duck, and did a pretty exhaustive search online of photos of the species, and I agree that this individual is an adult female (even though she has a fairly long tuft for a female - certainly not uncommon, based on photos).
Also, I see no field marks to indicate that this is a hybrid (with scaup, Ringed-necked Duck, etc.).
My photos show the bird scratching itself, and there are no bands, at least on the right leg.
By the way, Rachel Farrell reports that the female Tufted Duck in Providence, RI was seen again today. So this is definitely a different bird.
Congratulations to Tina Green for discovering this regional rarity.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford