[CT Birds] Are you noticing this too?

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 10:01:24 EST 2015

Over the last few weeks I've been seeing less and less birds at  my
feeders, and almost no squirrels since the first big storm. In particular, my
Junco flock has gone from over 200 to a max of about 60.  Goldfinch flock  seems
smaller, even though I've put up more thistle feeders. I see less Mourning
Doves and some types of Sparrows also. The Pine Siskins have moved on here,
 although I know they are showing up in other  places. On the other hand,
more Starlings than I've seen all winter. As to the Juncos, I can only
wonder  whether they have moved on to other places (why would they?) or perhaps
migrated  further south. I don't like to think that they are dying in their
roosts  overnight, but I think it's possible. Has anyone had experience with
winter  roost boxes? Do birds use them? Which species?
Before the first big snowfall and onset of the really brutal  cold I was
seeing up to 15 gray squirrels at once in my yard on occasion. Since  then I
have seen only 1 on occasion, and 2 for the first time today. They look  very
scrawny and seem to be moving slowly. One looked like it was having a hard
time climbing a tree. Seems to me this is about the time they breed, and I
wonder if the weather is having an effect on that. Can't say that I miss
them  though.
I've lived in this house for 43 years, and if my digital  thermometers are
correct, -11 this morning is the coldest I've ever seen here.  -10 was
previous low.
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct
mntncougar at aol.com