[CT Birds] Hawk id question, please?

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Mon Feb 16 17:36:23 EST 2015

A bird flew into a branch behind us, here in Hamden, & I got a bit of a look with binos.

It looked too small to be a Red-tailed Hawk, but too big & bulky for a Cooper's Hawk.  The back was speckled, and there seemed a fair amount of streaking from the little I could see of the front.  The back of the head seemed to have a fair amount of white speckling.

The face, around the eyes, seemed markedly dark gray, unlike the browner area around it.  The bridge of the beak was bright yellow, but I gather this is pretty common.  The end of the tail had a light, narrow band.

I'm thinking a Red-shouldered Hawk -- may one be confident in this?  Esp'ly with the Backyard Bird Count on!

Thanks, Arthur