[CT Birds] Long Beach & Birdseye BR

Kevin Doyle kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Wed Feb 18 22:03:48 EST 2015

I was given a heads up from a birder who I don't know when I asked about the snowy. I was told it was just seen at Long Beach. I asked if it was in range to photograph ... yes. Park at the far end of lot then look into the brush it's hunkered down but be patient. Sure enough ... before I could even focus a person with a dog flushed it by barking. It flew west very low to the ground where I lost it. I then spent time on the water with several hooded mergansers ... 2 grebes a flock of sandpiper looking birds long grey bills dabbling on the water line. Then I found 5 horned larks. A first for me. I was advised of this at Birdseye by the person who gave me the heads up about the snowy. Apparently very cordial birds. Then came to me. Just stood still and took pictures ... very striking birds. I then noticed at the far west end of the dunes the snowy flew north west towards the airport the last I saw it.

Birdseye more hooded mergansers than I could count. Been trying for years to get decent pictures today was the day. Very cool bird. Gadwals present a long with common mergansers.

Three northern harriers gave a good show also very good photo-ops. All in all a good day.

Kevin from New Milford
Kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Sent from Blue Mail