[CT Birds] SISKINS, Goldfinches

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 20 09:22:58 EST 2015

>From Frank Mantlik
2/20  Stratford, yard and feeders - Inundated at sunrise with 32 American Goldfinches (probably most ever in our yard), 6 PINE SISKINS, and 18 other species. Waiting for a Redpoll.

Also, I want to alert birders to study up and be on the lookout for potential rarities among these finch flocks, namely Hoary Redpoll and Lesser Goldfinch. The latter is an extreme rarity from the western U.S., but one that has occurred in the northeast.
Also, be on the lookout for Bohemian Waxwing among Cedar Waxwing and American Robin flocks. There are some in NY, NJ, MA, and many in ME.