[CT Birds] Whooping crane shootings

Paul Fusco paul.fusco at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 23 22:48:36 EST 2015

What happens to the person(s) that have shot whooping cranes? Have they been caught? Do the courts take the matter seriously? How about law enforcement investigations?  After all, there is tens of thousands of taxpayers dollars in research and management invested in each individual whooping crane. What kind of follow-up happens from interested conservation groups, including USFWS, Audubons and Ducks Unlimited?
It is the hunter's responsibility to know his target. If any of the shootings were done intentionally I would hope there would be severe consequences.

I don't expect to get answers to all of these questions. They are meant to spark some thought about a situation that seems to be happening with regularity.

Sent from my iPhone