[CT Birds] Blitzing for Blackbirds: Year 2 of the Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Mon Feb 23 23:29:37 EST 2015

Have you heard a squeaky-hinge song lately, or seen a flash of
rust-tipped feathers under a bright yellow eye? Although occasionally
overlooked as “just another blackbird,” Rusty Blackbirds face an
unfortunate and remarkable notoriety: this species has endured a decline
more severe than that of any other once-common landbird. In 2014, the
International Rusty Blackbird Working Group, in partnership with the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Vermont Center for Ecostudies,
eBird, and many other state, federal, and local partners, launched a
three-year Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz that challenged
birders to scour the landscape for Rusty Blackbirds during this species’
northward migration.  Between 1 March and 15 June, 4750 birders
submitted 13,400 checklists containing Rusty Blackbird observations to
eBird, a hugely successful first season that has allowed us to start
looking at potential Rusty Blackbird migratory hotspots, habitat use,
and potential migratory pathways.

We hope you’ll consider participating in Year 2 of the Blitz this
spring!  It’s easy - bird as you normally do during the Blitz window (1
March through 15 June) and submit your data to eBird using the “Rusty
Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz” observation type.  To help you figure
out when Rusties might be passing through your area, each region is
assigned a set of target dates found here:
http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/states-and-dates/

In Connecticut we are focused on the mid-March through April period, but
any and all observations from 1 March through 15 June are wanted. We’re
collecting Blitz data from anywhere within our target states and
provinces, but this year, we’d also like birders to revisit Areas of
Interest identified from 2014 data to assess the consistency of Rusty
Blackbird habitat use and migratory timing. Check out our map of Areas
of Interest for 2015 at
http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/2015-areas-of-interest/

To learn more about Rusty Blackbirds and the Blitz effort, please visit
our Migration Blitz website
(http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/), or check out our
Blitz Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/rustyblackbirdspringblitz).

We hope you’ll join us to Blitz for Blackbirds this spring!

Thank you, and more to come soon!
Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch