[CT Birds] BIRDSEYE

Kevin Doyle kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Tue Feb 24 19:29:10 EST 2015

For me very productive afternoon. Despite the cold very little wind it was tolerable for the 3 hours I was outside.

Highlights I guess one Eurasion Weigon I think the same as last week. Numerous pairs of American Weigons ... 2 Buffle Heads (a pair) constantly diving ... one green winged teal ... hooded mergansers ... common mergansers ..
Gadwales (spelling) ... others not sure.

The interesting thing 2 northern harriers fighting over kills. Why they fought over one duck I don't know unless it's the challenge to dominate. 2 harriers in one area ... I thought they had defined territory.

To end I saw 5 dead ducks in various stages. So why these two fought when each could have its own.

Is it odd that the harriers would take all these ducks then leave them or other factors killing them such as the weather.

The harbor was totally blocked with ice with the incoming tide along with one juvenile eagle.

Tomorrow the Hudson take advantage of the warmth.

New Milford Kevin
Kevindoyle01 at charter.net

Sent from Blue Mail