[CT Birds] REDUCED PRICING FOR THE COA ANNUAL MEETING ENDS MARCH 7th!

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 11:35:28 EST 2015

The COA Annual Meeting is just over three weeks away and time is growing
short to sign up for lunch and receive reduced pricing on your price of
admission.  Lunch sign-ups and reduced pricing end on March 7th, (ten days
away!) so get those registration forms in.  Here's the link to the form:
http://www.ctbirding.org/2015docs/RegForm2015.pdf

We have an exciting program planned for you plus our popular vendors and
raffle.  The Annual Meeting provides a great chance to meet the other
birders from around the state, maybe some you know only from this list.

THIS YEAR'S SPEAKERS AND THEIR TOPICS ARE:

TOM STEPHENSON and SCOTT WHITTLE:  With spring migration on our doorstep,
Tom and Scott, authors of *The Warbler Guide*, will illuminate us with THE
OVERLOOKED ID POINTS THAT MAKE IDENTIFYING WARBLERS EASY. This talk
discusses many of the very important but often overlooked ID points such as
overall contrast, subtle facial features, color impressions, feather
edging, rump contrast, and foraging style, location, and behavior. Sharpen
your warbler ID skills just in time for those arriving warblers!

NORMAN SMITH:  Since 1981 Norman Smith has spent countless days and nights,
in every imaginable weather conditions, observing, capturing, banding, and
color marking Snowy Owls at Logan International Airport. Find out what has
been learned to date, what questions remain, and how this project developed
to include research on Saw-whet Owls in his presentation SNOWY OWLS TO
SAW-WHET OWLS.

DAVID SIBLEY:*The Sibley Guide to the Birds* contains over 6,600 original
illustrations by Sibley, now recognized as America's leading
ornithologist/illustrator. Come hear his presentation on THE PSYCHOLOGY OF
BIRD IDENTIFICATION. In this lecture, illustrated with photos, drawings,
and a few tests, David talks about how we perceive the world around us, and
how our brains both help and hinder our efforts at bird identification.
You'll have a whole new perspective on your bird identification skills.

The full program schedule and more information on the speakers is at this
link:

http://www.ctbirding.org/news.htm

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut