[CT Birds] Hawks - Cached Prey Items?

Scott Henckel scott.henckel at snet.net
Thu Feb 26 17:22:41 EST 2015

Seen Owls do it.

-----Original Message-----
From: CTBirds [mailto:ctbirds-bounces at lists.ctbirding.org] On Behalf Of
Clark Moseley via CTBirds
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:45 PM
To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Subject: [CT Birds] Hawks - Cached Prey Items?

during nesting season.  I'm not sure of this activity during other seasons
of the year but I would guess that they do.

Clark "Chip" Moseley

From: Opposable Chums <opposablechums at aol.com>
To: "ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org" <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Subject: [CT Birds] Cached prey question

A friend sent me a photo of what appears to be a squirrel impaled or wedged
onto a tree branch.  He referred to this as a "hawk feeding station;" no,
he's not a birder, but tends to be astute in natural matters.

I've never heard of this behavior in Hawks.  Does anyone have any insight?

- Jason