[CT Birds] Unbelievable yet true

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:34:57 EST 2015

Joy and I were returning from a day at the coast and at about 2:45pm just south of exit 11 on Rt 9 in Middletown we both saw and independently identified an adult Broad-winged Hawk slowly  cross the highway flying east toward the river. The distinctive tail bands were well seen as was the underwing pattern of all white underwing with black trsiling edge and black wingtip, and underparts quite pale but warmer in the chest. The shape was that of a compact buteo, not Red-tailed or Red-shouldered like and not colored like either of these birds

Mark Szantyr
Storrs.