[CT Birds] HOARY REDPOLL(S), Fairfield

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 11:41:33 EST 2015

Between around 950 and 1035, Aidan Kiley and I had one, possibly two HOARY-type birds in a flock of Common Redpolls at Pine Creek in Fairfield. Having seen Hoary Redpoll a few times now, and having observed these birds for an extended period, I feel confident that at least one of those birds is a HOARY REDPOLL.

We were able to obtain many photos of these birds, and left them in the same group of birches where they had been for the vast part of our visit.

These birds were present in the birches along the "canal" on Old Dam Road. Park at the parking lot on Old Dam between the baseball and soccer fields, and head south. Cross the road, and take the trail along the canal, looking up for redpolls. Eventually, you will reach an area of the path where seed husks litter the ground. This is where we had the redpolls for the most part.

Good luck if you go.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield

Sent from my iPhone