[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club March Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed Feb 25 16:45:00 EST 2015

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during March:

Indoor Meetings:

Monthly Meeting, Thursday, March 12. Tom Stephenson — The Warbler Guide: A New System for Identifying and Learning Vocalizations.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Identifying warblers and other species singing in the field is one of the most satisfying aspects of birding, but learning and remembering the important ID points of bird vocalizations can be a challenge. Tom will cover some new techniques that make it easier to identify singing birds. He will cover how to understand and use sonograms to learn what makes a vocalization unique and how to differentiate similar-sounding species. Based on a system outlined in his new book, The Warbler Guide, Tom will demonstrate how the vocalization ID process can be sped up by understanding a song’s structure, the elements and phrases that make up the song. He’ll also discuss how to make a quick ID using the objective, easy-to-hear qualities of a song and will explain a simple 3-step memorization system he has used many times to memorize 300 or more songs for a trip to a new country. A birder since childhood, Tom has lectured widely and led numerous trips in the US and Asia. He’s a veteran of the World Series of Birding and his articles and photos appear in many books and magazines. He’s a musician too, having played concerts and done studio work with several Emmy and Oscar winners.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program at 7:30. For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or 203-230-1697.

“Birds in Words” Book Group.  March 17, 7:00 pm. Free. The New Haven Bird Club book group Birds in Words will discuss The Birds of Pandemonium; Life Among the Exotic and the Endangered by Michelle Raffin. The meeting is scheduled for Mar 17 at Whitney Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden at 7:00 pm in the 6th floor conference room. The public is welcome. Contact Kris Johnson, kriswaxwing99 at gmail.com, 203-288-3087.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Stratford: Shores/Great Meadows Marsh.  Wednesday, March 4, 2015, 8:00 am.  Join us as we visit this fine birding area. We will meet at the Long Beach parking lot and bird the marsh and beach and then visit Sikorsky Airport and Frash Pond. We’ll look for sea birds such  as  Long-tailed  Duck  and  scoters, as  well as  raptors  and shorebirds.  Directions: Follow signs to Sikorsky Airport from Exit 30 off I-95. Go past the airport entrance and follow the causeway to the end. Take the first right onto Oak Bluff Avenue and follow it to the Long Beach entrance. Leader—Frank Mantlik. Contact—Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Gull and Gannet Frenzy, Stratford Seawall, Stratford.  Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:00 am. We'll look through potentially thousands of gulls and see dozens of Gannets too as they feast on an annual plankton bloom along the coast. Meet at Lordship Seawall at south end of Washington Pkwy (near Marnick's Restaurant, 10 Washington Pkwy), Stratford. Leader—Frank Mantlik: 203-984-9410, mantlik at sbcglobal.net.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director