[CT Birds] HOARY REDPOLL, No and Yes!

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Feb 28 19:05:37 EST 2015

2/28/15, Fairfield, Pine Creek area.  To pick up where Alex left off: we
arrived at 1:45 pm to hear that the Hoary and Common Redpolls had just left
the birches where they had been feeding.  We spent the next hour checking
the birches all around the area, but found no redpolls. We decided to return
to the birches where they had been seen and wait for them.  We got there
about 2:45 pm.  About 10 minutes later, the flock flew into the trees and
stayed for about 20 minutes, giving us great looks at the Hoary and the 11
Common Redpolls that were with it.  The bird looks good for Hoary, with
unstreaked undertail coverts, a smaller bill, limited pink on the chest,
limited streaking on the sides, a frostier look overall and a fluffier look,
too.  At around 3:15 pm, the birds flew off to the south and out of sight.
There are still catkins on the trees, so I suspect they'll be back.

Thanks to Alex and Aiden for finding the birds and reporting them so

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,