[CT Birds] Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz: Opening Day

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Sun Mar 1 10:50:14 EST 2015

Welcome to International Opening Day of the Rusty Blackbird Spring
Migration Blitz!  The Blitz challenges birders to seek Rusty Blackbirds
throughout this species’ entire migratory range, from the southeastern
U.S. through the Northeast, Midwest, Canada, and Alaska. It’s easy to
participate - bird as you normally do and search especially carefully
for Rusty Blackbirds - then report your results to eBird under the
“Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz” survey type, even if you don’t
find a Rusty.  Or, visit one of our Rusty Blackbird Areas of Interest
(visit our interactive map at
to help us assess consistency of migratory timing and habitat use during
spring migration.

Of course, the farther north you are, the later in the spring Rusties
are likely to move through your area.  To give you a sense of when
Rusties are most likely to migrate through Connecticut, we’ve posted a
list of suggested target dates for each region:
http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/states-and-dates/ .
However, migratory timing can vary annually based on weather and
climate, so any Rusty reports during the Blitz period of 1 March through
15 June will help our effort!

For more information on Blitz objectives, along with Rusty Blackbird
identification tips, data collection instructions, and data reporting
information, you can find additional resources at

We hope you’ll “get Rusty” with us to help conserve this elusive and
vulnerable songbird! Also, follow us on Facebook to hear about Rusty
sightings, see Rusty pictures, and get the latest Blitz news:

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street
Jamestown, NY 14701