[CT Birds] Tufted Duck -yes

Andrew Block ablock22168 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 14:59:02 EST 2015

Went to look for the female Tufted Duck this afternoon for the fifth time and of course struck out at Captain's Cove around 12:30pm.  While there I noticed alot of scaup over by St. Mary's by the Sea so headed off to that area.   As luck would have it the beautiful lady was there with the 5+ Redheads, hundreds of scaup, 2 Long-tailed Ducks, some brant, the two pairs of Common Goldeneyes, and a few other species of ducks.  I noticed her "tuft" was not as short as they usually are for female Tufteds, but not quite as long as for males of the species.  It was also fairly thin, not as thick as a males either.  I also did not see any white at the base of the bill, but that might have been b/c of the lighting.  I watched her from about 1:20 to 1:30pm at which time she was still in the outer edge of the flock close to shore hanging by herself mostly.
Andrew Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist/Wildlife Biologist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
Phone: 914-963-3080; Cell: 914-319-9701