[CT Birds] Hoary polls

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 6 10:42:41 EST 2015

Hi Alex - I too felt they were probubly not Hoarys but didn't get in on it. Being pale looking can still be both.
I have had them here in Harwinton in years past, but in 40 years here, only had them twice in with Commons. I did not like the slight blush of pink on breast, and some commons seem to have clean under tails as well. Also, the Common has many degrees of varience in color and contrasts. From very contrasty to very pale (frosty) as well.  For sure they are a difficult bird to spec out. To me, a Hoary must show a clear rump, not just under tail, and be very frosty all over. And i believe the Hoary, if a male, has a bit smaller red cap as well. Males are much better to compare than females. I believe females of both get very difficult to ID.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton