[CT Birds] Such a bad bird winter up here...

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 7 21:00:44 EST 2015

I like to mention once again on how bad this winter has been here inland in N West CT for birds this winter. In fact for me, it has been not one of, but the worst of 40 plus years I've ever encountered birding up here! For an average winter, this area is usually full of birds throughout the winter. This comes from our abundance of food availability, esp from seed trees such as Spruce, Pine, Hemlock and other pines. Also we often have a fantastic tree and bush seed winter from the Birches and others as well. From my early survey in November, i saw this lack of tree cones and seeds and thought it was going to be a sparse winter for birds - But I did not realize how bad it would be. Also the berry crop was a normal to good one. However, the absence of other foods availability, the birds consumed the berries well before the first snows. And with snow depth and cold temps beyond the norm, this also did not help keep the birds here throughout this winter. When
 I do see the few birds left here eating the remainder of the Japanese Bittersweet and ornimental alien fruit trees, I know it's been a bad winter for birds here in the North Western corner. Seems our feeders are the only chance to see some birds, but that is not what birding is about up here.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton